Monday, July 10, 2006


The other day I was down by the garden pond watching a beautiful large dragonfly that was flying too fast to capture on camera, so I turned my attention to photographing the water lilies. A few minutes later I heard a splash and was astounded to see that a newt had shot out of the water and captured the dragon fly that I had I had been admiring just a few moments before.

The scene was reminiscent of a wildlife program the one with the crocodiles and the wildebeest crossing a river.




Here are some pics I took of the empty body shells of dragonflys that have already hatched. Amazing that something so beautiful could come from something that looks prehistoric


And a lovely butterfly for those of you that may have been traumatized by the previous photo's

4 comments:

natural attrill said...

Hi Debs, dont know about this blogging, since I have started I spend so much time reading others and looking to see if I have a comment on ours(sad!), getting behind in my artwork. Anyway, great to see all your photo's, they are beautiful!
Penny.

Alison Ashwell said...

Amazing to see 'nature red in tooth and claw' -if newts can be described like that LOL

I've added your link to my blog

Debs said...

Thanks Alison,
I have yet to add illustrators links to my blog, but when I do I'll return the favour.

Anonymous said...

Blimey, I'm glad I'm not the only one posting nature's darker side! Great shots!